Health update... Me and my journey with an ovarian cyst.

I think I may have written a little something about me having PCOS here before. I'm not entirely sure though. But yes, I was diagnosed wilth PCOS last 2012. I had it under control for some time, but then I got so busy with senior year and I forgot and neglected all my doctor's appointments for 2013 and 2014.

And finally ,2015. Just two days after I was done schooling for the semester, I found myself writhing in a really really really torturous kind of pain on the right side of my lower abdomen. I really thought I was going to die that morning. I got admitted, only to find out that my then PCOS became a full blown 8cm x 9cm ovarian cyst. Jokes on me. Doctors said I needed to have the cyst removed ASAP, but I still had a few things to do so I postponed my surgery up until the 28th of April. 

I underwent an OPEN laparatomy (because laparoscopic surgery isn't available in my place). And lo and behold, the cyst grew to more than 10 cm x 10 cm when it was taken out; it was definitely bigger than the size of a full-term newborn's head. Sadly, the cyst engulfed my right ovary so it had to be taken out. I am now living with one ovary. Just one.

Recovery went better than what I had expected, honestly. Of course, there was pain post-op, but nothing that pain medications can't take away. Mobility was limited at first, but I got into it fairly sooner than I expected. And yes, I ended up with a big smiling scar on my bikini line (just like that of a cesarean wound.. funny how I already went through a CS-like procedure without actually giving birth). Physically, I was recuperating really well and I had to thank myself for eating healthily and working out religiously weeks prior the surgery.

Emotionally however, it broke me at first. I love children, and having them was definitely on top of my "life goals" eversince I was a kid myself. And now, living with one ovary, I don't know if it's going to be possible for me, given that my hormones are really whacko right now. I am just praying that my left ovary (and the entirety of my reproductive system) will eventually cope up and normalize things inside my body.

As of now, my periods are still abnormal. Doctors say that it'll take 6 months to a year for my cycle to be normalized. Well, let's just see.

So, that's it. Crazy year for a crazy girl. But I grew stronger anyway, so yay!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken promises...

launching..